Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sandwiches


I love bread, so naturally, I am a big sandwich person, and am always on the lookout for new and old ideas for sandwich fillings. One of the most interesting sandwiches I've ever had was simple, a fried egg between mint leaves, on whole wheat bread, lightly spread with butter, salt and pepper. This was the creation of my friend Manu in India. It was perfect with morning tea. Only he would think to combine mint and fried egg. When I went home I tried it with basil, and it wasn't bad at all, but the mint was something special.
The baguette is a great vehicle for all sorts of fillings.


1. Fresh mozz, sliced farm tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves, drizzled with herb-infused olive oil.

2. A classic, nice Italian ham, butter lettuce and emmenthal cheese

3. Nutella and bananas, sliced lengthwise

4. Grilled peppers, peeled and dripping with olive oil, with thin shards of parmesan reggiano and/or Italian sausage

5. The salad of your choice. I recommend salade landaise or salade nicoise -- the latter makes a very upscale, delicious and simple tuna salad sandwich

6. Peanut butter and a) honey b) jam c) bananas or d) crispy bacon. I like c and d together. Yeah, me and Elvis.

Sometimes all you need is the bread and butter, like when you get hold of some proper Russian black bread. Add a cold beer and you've got two servings of grain in the deal.

No comments: