Friday, January 9, 2009

Lentil-Quinoa Salad

This is a delicious vegan salad -- but anyone might like it -- using quinoa, the South American grain-like seed full of protein.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked red or green lentils
1 cup quinoa, boiled and lightly toasted
3 green granny smith apples chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans (optional)

Dressing:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. sugar
pinch salt
pinch pepper

Cook your lentils and quinoa according to package directions. I like to take the boiled quinoa and toast it lightly, either in a saute pain or under a broiler. I put it in for just a moment, to accentuate the Quinoa nuttiness, without browning it.

Mix all salad ingredients and refrigerate. Make your dressing, shaking well to blend ingredients. You can either add the dressing to the salad directly, as I do, or serve the salad with dressing on the side. This salad keeps well. I often make a big bowl and keep it in the fridge, eating it whenever I get the craving throughout the week. The flavors mix and it tastes even better at the end of the week.

2 comments:

Turkish Recipe said...

very nice really

Mustafa YILDIZ said...

hello i want to links exchange with your site if you want too please write me email my email info@recipeturk.com
have a nice day